Isla Arlene

"C'ead Mile Failte" A hundred thousand welcomes! Thank you for taking the time to stop by. This blog is created with the intent to inform our friends and family as each step is taken on Isla's journey. Big thanks to everyone who has supported and will support us as we travel down this unknown road.
Much love.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I think I can, I think I can...


This helmet business is not easy. Every time I have to put it on her head my heart breaks just a little more. Last week as I was getting ready to bring her to daycare she would not stop crying. My instincts told me it was the helmet but I thought, "Possibly it is the cold that she has or because she is teething" so I left it on. As I dropped her off, I made her daycare provider promise to take it off if she looked pained or even just uncomfortable. About 2 hours later she did call saying Isla had not been herself all morning, she was crying inconsolably and she had taken the helmet off. We called the doctor and he told us we should keep it off for the weekend (I enjoyed every moment of my helmet free baby love) until we met with him on Monday.
At the appointment on Monday, he re-adjusted the helmet and agreed that is was too tight in a few places and rubbing on her head much more than it should be. Off we went... determined to begin again with a newborn positivity.
Ugh... and now her head is becoming irritated again, ensuring that we will be making yet another trip to the helmet man in the very near future. I will continue to make trips until I am positive that Isla is not the least bit uncomfortable while wearing her helmet. I could not be more frustrated with the entire process. We have to fight to make this helmet work for our daughter, we have to fight to to get something that we hate.
However, we do know that this hurts us more than it hurts her and we will do whatever we can for her no matter how hard it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment